Hardware Engineer / System Architect Level: Director
Location: Westlake Village CA
Gridtest Systems (www.gridtest.com) is an award winning start up company that creates technology to enable the electrical vehicle charging and Smart energy management markets. This position is for a Hardware Engineer to be the leader of Gridtest’s Research & Development team.
This individual will be responsible for architecting, developing and delivering to market the latest electric vehicle charging and energy management technology. This technology includes EV charging power systems, Energy metering, wireless communications and power control technologies.
This role is one of leadership and guidance of a team of engineers. This person will periodically interact with customers, ensure firm and reliable commitments to product and feature delivery, and assume full responsibility for the design, architecture, and construction of Gridtest hardware products.
This is a hands-on role. Gridtest is a startup company where all hands are required to contribute at multiple disciplines. The right candidate for this position will architect, design, prototype, debug and test and hardware/firmware systems.
While we always maintain some flexibility in job requirements, the strongest candidate will have a track record of positive growth that demonstrates the required experience with concrete examples of quality, predictable, and efficient delivery:
- 8+ years’ experience developing hardware and firmware for embedded systems
- System level architectures, distributed system architectures, and hardware and firmware system design.
- Hardware schematic, layout, design for manufacturing and assembly, and DFMEA for small and/or large systems
- Strong understanding of analog – digital conversion
- Understanding and experience with RISC microprocessors, specifically 32-bit ARM processor
- Knowledge of modern HDL (e.g. VHDL, Verilog)
- Experience leading and contributing to multiple full lifecycles of world class product development from concept to manufacturing and support
- Relevant experience in embedded programming (C and/or assembly)
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- An innate desire and propensity to document clearly, efficiently, thoroughly, and accurately
- Comfortable and skilled in delivering multiple tasks on-time with quality
- MSEE is highly desirable, but a track record of consistent, reliable, high quality delivery speaks loudest.
Any of these desirable skills will set a candidate apart from the rest.
- Experience with power electronics and high voltage systems, such as those found in the Electric Vehicle industry
- Experience developing utility grade meters
- Prior product-level experience deploying modern RTOS for embedded systems (e.g. FreeRTOS)
- Fault tolerant design and implementation practices
- Stronger experience with higher level firmware software development
This position will require research into evolving technologies and standards to architect electrical systems used to test, validate, monitor and measure the functionality, safety and performance of electric vehicle charging equipment and energy metering. Full hands-on development of hardware and firmware is required. Guidance and leadership of the engineering team is expected.
The ideal candidate….
… will be disciplined, highly organized, detail-oriented, and communicate clearly and effectively with subordinates, peers, and upper management.
… will thrive in a fast-paced start-up environment, with other talented engineers, where effort and results are recognized and rewarded.
… will demonstrate a successful track-record of career growth, and have the drive to succeed further on the technical track.
This is a unique opportunity to join an early-stage start-up breaking new ground in the burgeoning electric vehicle and Smart energy management industry. Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.